A staple in most programs, the bench press can be used to strengthen all the musculature of the upper body. It can actually be used as a full body exercise just as deadlifts or squats can, if performed as a powerlifter would.
Primary Movers: Chest
Secondary Movers: Triceps, Shoulders
Movement Type: Compound
- Lie on the bench, feet flat on the floor, shoulders pulled back and down.
- Place hands a little wider than should width.
- Unrack bar (with or without spotter help) keeping shoulders pull back. This is your starting position
- Lower bar under control to mid chest.
- Keeping feet on the floor, and butt on the bench, push weight back to starting position.